Monday, January 24, 2011

New Shows and Soundtracks

We've posted a handful of new shows including a second Wilco AM tribute show with Rookie Card at the Whistle Stop and another acoustic performance by Bobby and I. We are calling this one the Brothers Shaddox. It will great to take the stage together again focusing on harmonies and brotherhood.

In other news, our long time friend Kenton Hoppas is wrapping up a documentary film about bicycle couriers called "Career Courier" and has posted a new trailer at http://www.careercourierthemovie.com/.
Kenton called me few weeks ago to help him out with the music for the soundtrack for the movie. He had written a handful of songs with subject appropriate lyrics that we had already recorded together but he also needed some filler instrumental music. I arrived at his house with my acoustic and electric guitars, a banjo, and a lap steel guitar ready to make some sounds. He greeted me with a bottle of red wine and a request. "Billy, I just want you to play whatever you want. I've got the mics set up and we have two hours, let's go!" I sat down and began playing, paying attention to Kenton's hand gestures from the sofa where he nursed a glass of red and held the headphones to his ears.


When he liked something, I did it more, when he was tired of what I was doing, I changed it up. At this point I had never seen Kenton's movie, I asked him a few questions like, "Do you want happy or sad? Fast or slow?" And from there, I played... for two hours. I have now seen the movie, and I am impressed with how Kenton worked my blind musings into the flow of his movie.
Kenton has worked as a courier in San Diego for over 10 years, this is his first full length film, and it's GREAT! Keep your eye on his website for updates on the film.
Over,
Billy

No comments: